Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Lake renourishment is a SUCCESS!

Wow. what a learning experience.

I first want to thank Plan C, their organizers Claudia & Karen, and the WLV residents who volunteered their precious time on Saturday and Sunday to help us install over 1000 aquatic native plants at our community Lake.

To all those who missed out, I am sure you wanted to be there. You were missed. You also missed out on a great education about native aquatic vegetation, the different plants and where they grow, and how they interact within our little biosphere.

I was told to let the residents know the lake will look a little different now. Instead of the empty, eroding banks, you will see flourishing plants and insects and birds and (hopefully) more wildlife. It may take 2-3 years to fully grow in, depending on our weather, but it is sure to be beautiful.

It was a personal pleasure for me...I got to muck around in the lake, get dirty planting lemon bacopa and pickerell weed, and get to spend time with people who are concerned about the environmental impact we make on the world around us.

The next time a volunteer event is scheduled, I hope you make time to attend. I am a subscriber to the expression "many hands make for light work". The best gift you could ever give is something that will make this community better down the road.

No comments: